Wedding Card Box for Mr. & Mrs. Gingles

My cousin’s new wife asked me to make a card box for their wedding and I (reluctantly although don’t tell her!  lol) said I would.  And then she told me the colors……Royal Blue and Shiny Red.  Yep, had to make those work together somehow but not sure what I’d do so I started collecting supplies.

Some of the supplies used to create the card box.

All the supplies used to create this card box and more are available at Home and Garden  I used the DCWV Latte Paper Stack, Cooredinations black magic cardstock, glimmer mist spray, distress inks, glitter embossing power and many other products I found in my craft kit.

Once I collected the supplies I was going to use I started to fold, glue, decorate and otherwise manipulate the papers.  After some time playing this is what I came up with.

Work in progress

I had the royal blue part but I was thrown adding ‘shiny red’ to the card box.  For starters I added some red ribbon along the edge of the the box lid.  Then I began searching for other ways to incorporate red.  I found a stamp set that had a key and decided to add a stylized key plate to the box.  I used a piece of black cooredinations paper with a red core and stamped an image on the back.  I then embossed the area I stamped on the back.  Once the embossing was done I was left with an image on the front of the paper that had the negative areas of the stamp in relief.  I trimmed the piece out, sanded it to reveal the red core then added a liberal coat of Inkssentials Glossy Accents to add shine.  While drying I embeded a black ‘keyhole’ into my key plate then used brads to attach it at the corners as though they were screws.

The key tag and the key plate

Part of the tassel that acted as a handle to open the box.

Now, what good is a key plate without a key?  I used shrink plastic to stamp a key image and a saying in black staz-on ink.  I then stamped a pattern on the back of the shrink plastic to add a little depth.  After shrinking using my heat gun I added glitter embossing powder to the back to add a subtle shimmer.  Once cooled I used red floss to make a tassel the key was connected to that acted as the handle to open the card box.

Finally I added a monogram accent to the front of the box with the date of their wedding and their initials.  When all was said and done this is what the finished project looked like.  I was happy with the results, and the bride and groom were thrilled as well.

The completed card box.

I hope this project inspires you to try an ‘out of the box’ project next time you feel the urge to create.


Leave a comment

by | June 23, 2012 · 12:15 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s